Image Map

Thursday, May 9, 2013

comfortable people

Years ago someone told me that I was their "comfortable friend."

Really? I was dismayed.  Comfortable?  Why couldn't I be your inspiring friend?  Or hilarious?  What about your fascinating or really talented friend?

Comfortable, to me, meant I was akin to a large sofa.  And, even though I knew she meant it was a compliment, it didn't feel like one in that moment.

It took me a little bit of time to realize fully what she meant and perhaps it wasn't so far off from being a human-sofa.  When you've had a really, really crappy day, isn't there some part of you that just wants to be enveloped in soft cushions and plush fabric?  You want to sigh and let the worries of the day fall off your shoulders so that you can just "be".

That friend trusted me with the most precious parts of her life.  She let me into her world and allowed me to mourn and grieve and, yes, to rejoice with her.  And I realized that being her "comfortable friend" was really one of the highest honors she could give me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to comment - i read each one and they mean the world to me! If you have a blog, please leave a link because I'd love to check it out! :)

**if you're leaving a comment anonymously, but would like me to respond, please leave an email address to which I can reply, or contact me directly by email (link under my picture and profile on the top right side of page where you see the envelope). thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover