Image Map

Saturday, April 13, 2013

quote

The latest book I was given to review is Finding God in the Dark by Ted Kluck and Ronnie Martin.  I still have a few chapters left to go before I write a full review, but I was so struck by this passage written by Martin.  He tells the story of a girl raised in a Christian home who eventually tells her parents she doesn't believe in God anymore.  He follows the story with these words:

Like many kids who are "born into the church," she'd been engulfed by both the blessings and curses of that her entire life.  Anyone who has lived and existed in this bizarre subculture for even a short amount of time can relate to what that's like.  It's riddled with clichés, rife with contradictions, and it's a rude awakening to the reality that Christians are hypocrites and sinners par excellent.  All of this eventually becomes exhausting and sometimes that exhaustion can turn into bitterness and apathy if we let the culture of Christianity eclipse the Christ of Christianity.

(emphasis mine) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to comment - i read each one and they mean the world to me! If you have a blog, please leave a link because I'd love to check it out! :)

**if you're leaving a comment anonymously, but would like me to respond, please leave an email address to which I can reply, or contact me directly by email (link under my picture and profile on the top right side of page where you see the envelope). thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover