Image Map

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Honesty in a Culture of Church Taboos



"Two pink lines. When my husband and I saw them, we imagined all of our plans and dreams fading away. First came anger and then, swiftly, relentlessly: shame.
I was pregnant.
To others, our situation looked ideal. We were young, relatively healthy, and my husband had a steady job with full benefits. And we had wanted children.
Just not yet.
Who could we talk to?
We recoiled from Church, feeling isolated by our lack of joy. We didn’t want to wound couples that were unable to conceive by voicing our disappointment over this baby, so we kept our mouths shut and our sorrows to ourselves."


4 comments:

  1. So grateful for your openness and I know so many others need to see an example as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And thanks for sharing it, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from EE's linkup! Loved the Elizabeth Chapin quote. I had the pleasure of meeting her last month, and she really helped me understand the difference between privacy and secrecy, which I think is key when we're thinking about honesty in church communities. Privacy is healthy, secrecy is not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, I have never thought about the difference between privacy and secrecy in that way, but it makes so much sense! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to comment - i read each one and they mean the world to me! If you have a blog, please leave a link because I'd love to check it out! :)

**if you're leaving a comment anonymously, but would like me to respond, please leave an email address to which I can reply, or contact me directly by email (link under my picture and profile on the top right side of page where you see the envelope). thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover