Image Map

Friday, January 3, 2014

On the Tenth Day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me...



Happy tenth day of Christmas!  We're counting up to Epiphany (the twelfth Day of Christmas for those of you not familiar with the liturgical calendar) because our little family is exchanging our Christmas gifts on that day.  But my husband's main gift to me was ready today and I couldn't wait to start using it.  He brought it inside this afternoon so I could get it all set up.



(still missing two knobs that are back ordered until next week)

I've been wanting a desk for awhile and checking Craig's List semi-often since I knew we didn't have the money for a new one.  Last week I emailed a few people about desks and ended up going to see one.  It was homely and worn, but I knew it could be improved.  So we brought it home, painted it red and added blue knobs!


I had no plans to have a red desk - the color is still growing on me.  I wanted a pale turquoise or coral, but when we decided to use spray paint (to speed up the process), I was limited on colors.  The desk is definitely a "pop" piece now - the first thing you notice when you enter the room and I do like that.  I'm still working on turning the area around my desk into my own.  I'd like to add a lamp and perhaps some more decorations.  But it feels freeing to have a space to myself.

The last time we talked, my writing mentor encouraged me to take time for myself - time away where I could focus and meditate and read and write.  I am still working on that.  But I think having a space to do that is one step in that direction.

The desk also inspired some Christmastide organizing, which is probably the best gift I could give my husband!  After I was filled the drawers, I started pulling things out of a nearby closet, purging most of it and redistributing the rest to its proper home.  And then I moved on to another closet dreadfully in need of some organization.  

All around, I feel like our home has become more abstractly spacious today.  It felt good.  






1 comment:

  1. So glad you have a desk! I absolutely love having a desk and I know you will, too!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to comment - i read each one and they mean the world to me! If you have a blog, please leave a link because I'd love to check it out! :)

**if you're leaving a comment anonymously, but would like me to respond, please leave an email address to which I can reply, or contact me directly by email (link under my picture and profile on the top right side of page where you see the envelope). thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover