Image Map

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Currently Reading: A Family's Guide to the Military for Dummies

A Family's Guide to the Military for Dummies
by Sheryl Garrett and Sue Hoppin

In 59 days, I'm getting married (!!!) and soon thereafter, Mr. Mays (who will technically be Lieutenant Mays by that point) and I will be moving to Mississippi with the Air Force.  Since I like to know as much as I possibly can before I go into a new situation, I started scouring the internet and the libraries for information on being a military family.  This book has helped a lot!  Here are just a few of the topics covered:
  - shopping at the commissary
  - Tricare options
  - understanding military compensation 
  - pros and cons of living in on base housing
  - all those silly little acronyms (CONUS, for instance)
  - military benefits
  - childcare/school options
  - family support centers

This book really does cover a lot of topics and I learned a great deal.  I did have to weed through a few things because certain parts didn't apply to us.  There was a lot of information about raising children while you're in the military and we just aren't at that point in life yet.

If you happen to read this post and you and/or your spouse as ever been in the military, comment and let me know your favorite part about being in the military.  And also perhaps tell me something that you struggled with.  :)  I'd love to hear what you have to say!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Callie,

    One of my residents during our year together in Murphy married someone in the military (I think the Navy). They are stationed at Virginia Beach and are being sent to Japan very soon. It seems like a lot of sacrifice -- I don't think that I would be willing to give up my freedom like that. But I am excited that you & Caleb will be able to build relationships with people in ways that I couldn't by living the military lifestyle. Anyway, if you'd like my resident's contact information, let me know and I can email it to you. Do you still check your school email?

    Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to comment - i read each one and they mean the world to me! If you have a blog, please leave a link because I'd love to check it out! :)

**if you're leaving a comment anonymously, but would like me to respond, please leave an email address to which I can reply, or contact me directly by email (link under my picture and profile on the top right side of page where you see the envelope). thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover