Image Map

Friday, May 27, 2011

the lies of old; the truth that is older still

God isn't truly good.

His plan isn't best.

I could do better on my own.

He demands too much.
I hear them again.  Those old lies keep popping up.  Those lies that are as old as this Earth.

In the beginning, it was good.

Yet in the beginning came the lies.  The sins came too.  Sins of ungratefulness.  pride.  self-sufficiency.  lack of trust.

Those same lies have been catching us all since the dawn of age.  One would think that the lies would change.  But why change when the old is working so well?

My own life bears witness.  

The old lies are still working.  Still making me doubt His goodness, still hindering my gratitude, still convincing me that I could do better on my own.

It seems hopeless.  If the lies have been working since the beginning, how can I find truth?

The old lies run deep.  But the Truth is deeper and older still.

I repeat it to myself, murmuring prayers for the day when "the Curse shall be no more" (Rev 22).  This long-awaited day will mark the final freedom from all of those lies.  It will signify the already-won victory.

That day seems far away.  For now, the lies seem louder and surer than the truth.

As I wait for that day I cling the ancient Truth.

As I wait for that day I accept my overflowing portion of grace.

I breathe.

And I allow the Truth to marinate into my soul, leaving it grace-stained.

Grace and Truth.
Together these will conquer the lies.

Grace and Truth.

Together these HAVE conquered the lies.


"And the Word became flesh,

and dwelt among us,

and we saw His glory,

glory as of the only begotten from the Father,

full of grace and truth."

John 1:14





No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to comment - i read each one and they mean the world to me! If you have a blog, please leave a link because I'd love to check it out! :)

**if you're leaving a comment anonymously, but would like me to respond, please leave an email address to which I can reply, or contact me directly by email (link under my picture and profile on the top right side of page where you see the envelope). thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover