Image Map

Monday, September 30, 2013

whole30 meals and more!


Well, we are now on Day 23 of Whole30!  It has been a lot easier than I anticipated.  The first few days were hard, but now we don't have to think about it so much.  Additionally, I've noticed that I have more energy.  Some people talk about having "tiger blood" which means having boundless energy.  For me, I've noticed that I crash less often.  I used to go CRAZY waiting for Caleb to come home...I was so tired and could never have him get home soon enough to help with the baby.  Half of the time I had a migraine so I just needed to lay down.  My migraines have been so, so much better (I've only been having them if I haven't eaten or slept enough.  Totally a change from having them day after day).  I've spent more time outside being active with Hadden and haven't been on edge waiting for Caleb to get home.  Additionally, a pair of shorts that 23 days ago were tight can now (literally) fall off me.  I really need to find my belt!



This week I was preparing a meal for a friend, but since I couldn't taste what I was making (it wasn't Whole30), I asked another friend to come over and taste test some apple muffins for me.  Thankfully, she didn't mind that job. ;)  We got around to talking about Whole30 and what we ate so I thought I'd give a brief description.

Here is our official shopping list.  The first week or two I took this with me the store to make sure I was buying Whole30 approved foods.  Now that I have it in my head, I don't usually carry it because I already know what to buy.



This is what WE have been eating.  Sometimes on the different forums, I see people who have different opinions about what is allowed on Whole30 (e.g. one person says to drink only water, but most people agree that other drinks like tea are fine).  To the best of my knowledge, everything I've eaten has been compliant with Whole30, but if someone who is more advanced with Whole30 recognizes that I did something wrong, please don't rake me over the coals! ;)


Breakfast:
Eggs
  Egg casserole with compliant chicken sausage and spinach
  Omelets with peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes
  Fried or Scrambled Eggs
Fruit

Main Dishes:
Grilled Chicken
Grilled Steak
Tilapia
Salads (including a modified version of this one)
Homemade Meatballs and Spaghetti Squash
Turkey or Chicken Burgers
Shrimp and Avocado Salad
Tuna Salad (with homemade mayo)


Sides/Snacks:
LARA bars (we've found about 5 flavors that are compliant)
Kale chips
Fruit (sometimes with a side of almond butter)
Vegetables (LOTS!)
Almonds
Guacamole (we like it served over grilled chicken or tilapia)
Baked Apple Chips
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Homemade beef jerky


Eating Out*:
(*It's especially important if you're doing Whole30 that you are a compete pain in the butt for the restaurant staff double check how that location cooks their food...it might be different from place to place.)
Panera Bread: "Power" Mediterranean Turkey Salad (no pepperocini, add avocado)
                       "Power" Steak Wraps Salad (no pesto, add avocado)
5 Guys:           Burger (no cheese, no bun, lots of vegetables!)
Texas Roadhouse: Steak (no seasoning - just grilled), broccoli (no seasoning), house salad (no cheese, no croutons, oil and lemon as dressing)
Chipotle:           Bowl with carnitas, mild salsa, guac and lettuce)


Are you up for it??  Ready to start Whole30? (I'm hoping at least ONE person decides to do it after me...I have a few people considering it)
 

1 comment:

  1. I think I am going to try this. I'll have to wait until this whole government shut down thing is over and we have a steady paycheck to go shopping with (boo) but I think this is exactly what I need to jump start my weight loss. The hubby and I have been working out together and I have been watching what I am cooking, but I like having structure. Good for you for lasting the whole 30 days!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to comment - i read each one and they mean the world to me! If you have a blog, please leave a link because I'd love to check it out! :)

**if you're leaving a comment anonymously, but would like me to respond, please leave an email address to which I can reply, or contact me directly by email (link under my picture and profile on the top right side of page where you see the envelope). thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover