Image Map

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Korean Beef Tacos (a crockpot recipe)




A few months ago my sister called me and told me that she made the Korean beef tacos that I'd pinned and that they were "insane".  I had no idea what recipe she was talking about, which should be a sign that I pin too many recipes!  Anyway, she ended up making them for us when we visited and my husband and I both agreed: insanely good.

In addition to being "insanely good", these tacos use my all-time favorite cooking device, the crockpot!  Last winter we used our crockpot about five days a week and I am always looking for new recipes.  I love the flexibility of putting the ingredients in at 9:00am and not having to think about it again until 5pm when dinner is ready.

You can find the recipe here at Confections of a Foodie Bride, but today I'm just sharing a few pictures from the leftovers of the meal.  Check out the recipe on that blog and their beautiful pictures! 

The recipe calls for a lot of ingredients, which looks a bit daunting at first.  But it's really not.  You'll just need to run to the store and pick up a couple things that you may not have on hand (e.g. sesame oil, rice vinegar).  But those ingredients get mixed together and poured over the beef in the crockpot, so it's very easy.

Since this recipe makes a lot of beef, we save the extras in the fridge and use them the next few days for leftovers.  It's really easy to make a fresh taco for lunch and it tastes just as good!

**please remember that I am not a photographer and definitely not a food photographer so these pictures are far from perfect.  Yesterday as I was heating up leftovers I was simply noticing how beautiful the colors were together so I grabbed my camera and snapped away**




Here are the ingredients I started with for lunch:
- Leftover beef, warmed in the microwave.  
- Fat-free sour cream (plain greek yogurt would be great too)
- Cucumber/red onion slaw (I make this fresh each time...more on that below)
- Sriracha!
- Fresh cilantro
- Tortilla




Start by warming the tortilla in the microwave for about 20 seconds.  Add your sour cream/greek yogurt then drizzle Sriracha and top with cilantro




Add the warmed beef 




Top with the cucumber/red onion slaw (and more Srarchia if you like it spicy!)


Like I said above, I make fresh slaw each day.  The first time I made this recipe, I made a lot of slaw and saved it to use for leftovers, but I really missed the crunch of the cucumbers and onions.  They were limp and it was unsatisfying.  Usually I try to make it about 30 minutes before I plan on eating so it will have time to soak in the vinegar, but sometimes I don't get the chance.  It's good either way, but I prefer giving it a lot little time it sit.

Hope that you give it a try and that you enjoy it as much as we do!







No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to comment - i read each one and they mean the world to me! If you have a blog, please leave a link because I'd love to check it out! :)

**if you're leaving a comment anonymously, but would like me to respond, please leave an email address to which I can reply, or contact me directly by email (link under my picture and profile on the top right side of page where you see the envelope). thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover