Image Map

Sunday, May 12, 2013

mother's day

Today I'm thinking of my mom and wishing her a happy day.  I'm so thankful for the energy she put into raising six children and how she's passed on to us a love for books, learning and caring for other people, among many other things.  Wish we could be there with you today, Mom!

We're keeping it low-key here today which is exactly how I wanted it.  Just a little time for the three of us to enjoy together.  Some time ago, I read this post about a mother who write a note to her children each year on Mother's Day and I knew I wanted to do the same so Caleb bought me a beautiful moleskin notebook to collect my notes to Hadden.  We are running errands, baking, delivering meals and going on a family walk.

I understand that Mother's Day can be a really difficult day for many people whether they've lost a mother or are wishing to be a mother or are alone today because of deployment, etc.  Today I hope that someone reaches out to you in kind remembrance and that you draw encouragement from that.  

For an interesting read about Mother's Day, here's an article about Anna Jarvis**, who "invented" Mother's Day and how she later fought against it as she saw how it turned into another big marketing scheme.  

**I realize that mental_floss is not the most noteworthy of sources, but I've heard this other places as well...this was simply the place I saw it today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to comment - i read each one and they mean the world to me! If you have a blog, please leave a link because I'd love to check it out! :)

**if you're leaving a comment anonymously, but would like me to respond, please leave an email address to which I can reply, or contact me directly by email (link under my picture and profile on the top right side of page where you see the envelope). thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover